Friday, September 25, 2009

The Plight of A Starving Artist

Jenni: "I noticed you sell alot of great cards here. I actually make cards, my name is Jenni...I'm a local artist...would you like to see a few examp....(cut off)"

Store: "We aren't buying right now."

Jenni: "Understandable, you probably get people like me in here all the time! (awkward laughter)"

Store: (mercy laughter)

Jenni: "When do you usually buy cards for the season?"

Store: "Yeah, email me some shots of your stuff and I'll get back to you."

Jenni: "Sure, I'll absolutely do that, but I actually have my work right here and it's easier to see the layout of... (cut off)"

Store: "(doesn't look) Great! email me your stuff...but I'm going to be out of the state for awhile so I might take a long time to get back with you"

Jenni: "Right..... okay. thank you for your time and I will get that email sent out as soon as I can...would you like a business car....(cut off)"

Store: "No thank you."

Jenni: "Well have a nice day, you have a beautiful store. I come in a lot (I actually do)"

Store: "mmm hm."

*thanks to anne bocci boutique for buying 4 of my cards and selling me the cutest dress ever. And for treating me like a human.

*special thanks to the sales clerk at presents of mind who actually let me finish my sentences and looked at my cards even though she had absolutely no authority to buy them...and for laughing at the ones that I, too, think are funny.

**extra special thanks to mom for being my best client and buyer :)

***extra extra special thanks to Lavenda Memory, Amy Rispler, Staci Janssen, Erin Underwood, Caylan Wagner, Crystal Berry, Rachel Short and Tracy Zaits...whom whether they knew it or not were the muses for all my pregnant lady designs.

****extra extra massively important special thanks to Kenny Kupelian and Beth Winstead for manual labor, moral support, and inspiration behind my drawings of umbrellas, walkmans, unicorns, stickfigures, nintendo controllers, hugs, and wine glasses. You guys are my two favorites and I wouldn't want to watch "Joe Dirt" with anyone else!

2 comments:

bethany said...

um, can I say that your business cards are a HIT. i need more to hand out. :)

Unknown said...

cI am sorry that you are a starving artist. Have you tried eating JELLO?? It will perk you right up. I read all that you wrote and I can not believe you ever thought of yourself as ugly, ungainly etc. etc. Goodness gracious I hope you don't feel that way anymore. I think you are a beautiful young woman and a great artist and you write the funniest items ever. Love you alot! Nanny